How to digitize human factor
20.07.2019Back to blog list
Prevention is the key process of incident management – it is better to discover reasons and sources of a possible security breach than to fight consequences. Potential insiders are not easy to detect, and general data safety approach including basic instruments are not sufficient to reveal a violator. Even a DLP system is not that powerful. And that’s why:
• Many data protection tools are inappropriate when it comes to human craftiness
• Incidents and crimes are often untraceable
• Information accessibility increases the awareness and agility among IT competent employees
• A defense requires much more efforts than an attack. It is difficult to foreknow a violator’s behavior, to be prepared to the plot
Although it doesn’t make specialists less responsible for human factor management. They should:
• Create an effective mechanism capable of providing you with an employee’s behavior evaluation and accurate forecast
• Find a simple, quick and efficient investigation method
• Identify correctly and range the level of the human risk
It is important to remember that time is the key parameter of a human factor incident investigation.
An automated profiling is among the instruments which allow to solve human-related problems and prevent incidents. The system includes tools for psychodiagnostics which help to “scan” a person quickly and reliably, understand one’s peculiarities and communicate efficiently, forecast behavior.
• Psycholinguistics analysis
• Individuality type identification
• Communication strategy and tactics
• Facial expressions and gestures recognition
• Thinking and behavioral strategy detection
Profiling: how to use?
Profiling is based on psychology and criminalistics. The elements of this technology are used during an investigation and as a means to fight terrorism.
A mining company had experienced a financial loss. The source of the crime couldn’t be tracked down, and about 20 people became suspects. A profiler applied group profiling methods and techniques and narrowed the number of possible violators down to 2 persons. The next day an offender confessed and brought back the stolen money.
Profiling allows you to:
• obtain details about employees, their values, professional qualities and communicative skills
• identify criminal propensities considering different types of security crimes and incidents
• benefit from additional instruments for investigation
• detect human risks
• forecast staff behavior in standard, critical and stressful situations
• approach HR tasks efficiently and conforming to security requirements
Despite obvious rationality, conducting such a performance “manually” is a time consuming job. Profiling 30-40 employees regularly can take a lot of time.
DLP and profiling – technological symbiosis
An automated forecast and integration of profiling instruments into a DLP functionality – such an ambitious goal was set by SearchInform.
Besides labor cost reduction, automated profiling lets you be cautious when dealing with an insider, avoid negativity escalation within a team, conduct an investigation and preliminary diagnosis not drawing too much attention of the staff.
SearchInform conducts investigations, develops automated methods for behavioral prognosis. ProfileCenter is a module integrated into the SearchInform DLP. The implementation of the concept is based on a person’s psychological peculiarities which influence the way an employee behaves at the workplace. ProfileCenter module analyzes a user’s actions and character traits as well as deviations. The system shapes a psychological profile of an employee according to certain algorithms, i.e. assume routine tasks making the work of specialists responsible for monitoring more prompt and productive.