Information security software and hardware
By ompyuternye technology improving every year. Thanks to this, life is globally easier. But with the growth of technology, the number of cyber fraudsters also increases. Massive hacker attacks lead to various negative consequences. For example, when personal data of users is publicly available. Ordinary users are hampered by spam mailings in social networks and e-mail boxes, annoying commercials, and viral programs. But the issue of information security for business corporations is especially acute.
An increasing number of businesses and large and small businesses are using the Internet as one of the components of their activities. As a result, the use of software that protects confidential information becomes mandatory.
Organization of information security of an enterprise is the protection of corporate information, personal data, business correspondence. Therefore, the information security system must take into account all relevant virtual threats and weak links in the corporate data exchange system. On the basis of this, the company's security policy is developed.
Classification of information threats
Information security threats are actions that lead to violations of the protection of information data. They can be called processes that harm digital data and PC systems.
Usually, information threats are caused in two ways: by force majeure and directly by people. Threats caused by the second method are divided into random and deliberate intrusions. Accidental threats appear due to erroneous actions of users during the transfer and processing of information or due to equipment malfunction.
Intentional threats are created by the criminal actions of cyber fraudsters. These are threats related to illegal access to IT resources. On average, hackers invade unprotected PCs every 30-40 seconds.
Before launching an attack on a PC, any hacker collects information about the enterprise, the user, and vulnerabilities in the corporate IT system. Also, the criminal learns the defense mechanisms, tests them, and only then starts the attack. To block unauthorized analysis, a set of protective measures is used, including software systems for protecting digital resources.
Computer threats include DDoS attacks, illegal access, information leakage, virus infection (Trojans, worms, etc.), data loss, botnet creation (zombie PCs), spamming and phishing (personal data hacking). The worst threats to corporations are industrial threats (stuxnet, flame, duqu) and spyware (spyware, adware).
There is enough protection against computer threats. These include organizational and hardware-technical means of information security, identification and authentication and a set of software for data protection.
A set of software tools to ensure the protection of digital data
The security services of public and private enterprises pay special attention to software for maintaining information security. It consists of a set of programs that identify the user, encrypt data, control access, delete temporary files and test the security system.
Each means of protecting information arrays has its own advantages: ease of installation, affordable price, extensive functionality, high efficiency. Therefore, to create an integrated security system, different means are used, the combination of which will ensure complete information security.
At the moment, the list of such funds includes:
1. Integrated protection. It is software built into the PC operating system. It is part of all new versions of Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Android. The purpose of the integrated software is to protect user data from unauthorized access.
2. Antivirus software. Developed by licensed companies and installed by the user independently. This software is designed to recognize malicious programs, disinfect files, and warn about file or OS infection.
3. Firewall. It is an intermediate protector that monitors and filters traffic. The principle of operation of the software is based on the fact that a virtual server is created between the local and global networks. All incoming and outgoing files pass through it. If a file carries a threat, the firewall warns the user about it or blocks access to the dangerous resource. A security measure is also called a firewall, that is, a firewall. Firewalls, however, are not effective enough for security. Therefore, they are supplemented with other means of protection.
4. Intrusion detection system. It is a set of software-based protection methods that monitor traffic and report the threat of an attack.
5. VPN service. A method of covert file transfer that allows you to protect the exchange of information over networks based on PPTP, PPPoE, IPsec protocols.
Creation of a software complex for protecting information on a server or a personal PC involves the use of various types of security programs or special solutions that combine several protection means.
The main task of antivirus is to protect a computer or other digital device from various types of virus infections. To perform this function, the program checks all incoming files.
Nowadays, malware enters PCs mainly through email and instant messengers. The threat primarily concerns enterprises that conduct corporate correspondence through unsecured communication channels. Therefore, in order to protect corporate information systems, antiviruses for e-mail servers are used, which recognize the signatures of viruses in letters. Also, protection is facilitated by the use of similar programs for file servers and specialized software used by Internet providers.
Antivirus software includes:
- application for managing settings;
- tools for checking files and searching for malware.
The most popular antiviruses are Dr. Web, Sophos Home, Panda Free Antivirus, Avira Free Antivirus. The best Russian solutions are considered to be Kaspersky Lab anti-virus products.
As the number of cyber intruders grows steadily, the problem of protecting personal data is acute. Using a firewall is the first way to protect confidential information.
Firewalls are equally popular among ordinary users and among large commercial organizations. They are the basic software that is installed along with the standard set of programs for the operating system.
Top firewalls include:
- Bitdefender Internet Security is one of the oldest representatives on the market. In addition to the firewall, it provides webcam protection, several levels of protection against Trojans and ransomware, and protection against phishing, the purpose of which is to access passwords and logins.
- Norton Security Standard is one of the budget solutions with a reliable firewall.
- ZoneAlarm Free Firewall blocks untrusted traffic and malicious files, protects the device while connecting to an unsecured network.
- TinyWall is a freeware program created to modify the Windows Firewall. Its main advantage is the absence of annoying pop-up notifications about an upcoming threat.
Attack detection software
Such programs are called Intrusion Detection Systems or intrusion detection systems (abbreviated as IDS or IDS). They are used to quickly control the entire amount of information passing through a protected fragment of the network. This software has an instant response to external threats. It serves as an additional element to protect digital assets.
The functions of the IDS include:
- blocking network attacks on weak services;
- restriction of unauthorized access;
- detection of virus programs (trojans, worms, etc.).
This software includes:
- Analysis system. It collects sensor metrics and analyzes them to identify threats and attacks.
- Touch system. It is designed to monitor security (software updates, the presence of unlicensed software, etc.).
- Inner memory. This is an archive of collected data and program files.
- A control panel that configures COB and keeps track of how secure the system is.
IDS are classified in different ways depending on the type of sensors, means of detecting suspicious activities.
PSB includes the following programs:
- Network-based IDS - software designed to simultaneously monitor multiple hosts and track attacks;
- Application Protocol-based IDS - software designed to monitor and repel attacks using specialized protocols;
- Host-based IDS, HIDS - host -based software that analyzes system calls and applications.
Some people confuse IDS and firewalls. The difference between these programs is that the firewall reduces traffic and cannot protect against intranet threats.
VPN is a term that summarizes all technologies that ensure the secure transfer of data over the global network.
VPN securely encrypts correspondence and all online activities. If a person connects to the Internet through a VPN service, then the traffic used goes through an encrypted channel. Thus, no one, except the VPN provider, will be able to detect the user on the network at this moment. Therefore, you can safely use public Wi-Fi and not worry about protecting your connection.
VPN examples: IPSec, OpenVPN, and PPTP. They belong to the category of secure VPN technologies. There are also so-called trusted VPN networks: Multi-protocol label switching (MPLS) and L2TP (Layer 2 Tunnelling Protocol).
The disadvantages of a VPN include a vulnerability in web traffic fingerprinting, one of the types of virtual attacks. Thanks to this attack, adversaries not only track the encrypted traffic, but also guess which websites the user has visited. Another feature of VPN servers is that when they are used, the usual speed of Internet traffic is reduced by 10-15%, at the same time, the speed of downloading content significantly increases.
How to work to ensure the protection of information systems?
All data security software is good for a PC if it is used in conjunction with hardware, technical and other data protection methods. Moreover, all information security mechanisms must be constantly monitored and updated.
The Internet is filled with untrustworthy sites and malicious software. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to ensuring data protection. The simultaneous use of several means of protection will avoid information leakage. And although such programs periodically cause slight delays in the operation of the computer, they reliably protect against Internet scammers.